The doctor took an nCoV sample at a hospital in Chennai, India, on April 13
The doctor took an nCoV sample at a hospital in Chennai, India, on April 13. Photo: Reuters

Indian pharmacist K Sivanesan, 47, died after taking a drink with a boss on his own because he believed it could kill nCoV.

The two men worked for an herbal company and tested the mixture they made themselves from nitric oxide and sodium nitrate at home in Chennai, southern India, local police chief Ashok Kumar said. today.

Sivanesan died on the spot, and his colleague Rajkumar was recovering in a hospital after being treated for poisoning. Kumar said Sivanesan bought chemicals from a local market and followed the recipe found online.

Chennai-based ayurvedic pharmacist dies after drinking concoction of his own preparation

India recorded more than 61,000 infections and nearly 2,000 deaths from nCoV. The nation of 1.3 billion people imposed a blockade on March 25 and May 4 began to relax some measures.

However, experts suspect that the actual number of nCoV infections in India is higher than published, as the country has the lowest testing rate in the world. Indian health officials hope to test about 100,000 samples a day soon.

There are no drugs or vaccines to treat Covid-19, the pandemic has infected more than 4 million people, of which more than 276,000 have died, globally. More than 100 Covid-19 vaccines are being researched and developed, of which 6 are being tested in clinical practice, according to Dr. Seth Berkley, executive director of the GAVI vaccine alliance, a public-private partnership leading the vaccination campaign. in poor countries.

Last month, Iran said more than 700 people died in the country between February 20 and April 7 after drinking toxic methanol because they thought it was a cure for Covid-19.