The US president said he “has just been informed” about the events. The Chavista regime announced the arrest of two Americans in an alleged operation to overthrow Nicolás Maduro.

Donald Trump assured on Tuesday that it has “nothing to do” with the two maritime raids in Venezuela , in which at least eight people were killed and two US citizens were detained, according to reports by the Chavista regime.

Donald Trump (reuters)
Donald Trump (reuters)

Let’s see, I just got informed. It has nothing to do with our government, ”Trump said in statements to the press at the White House.

We are concerned about that, but whatever it is, we will inform you, but it has nothing to do with our government, ” the president reiterated, before leaving for Arizona on his first trip in several weeks.

Nicolás Maduro exposed two Americans detained for a failed “invasion” by sea of ​​Venezuela on Monday as “members of the security” of Trump. These are Luke Denman, 34, and Airan Berry, 41, according to the Chavista leader, who showed his passports and other documents on state television.

File Image Of The President Of Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro, Speaking During A Press Conference At The Miraflores Palace In Caracas, Venezuela
File Image Of The President Of Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro, Speaking During A Press Conference At The Miraflores Palace In Caracas, Venezuela

Maduro also showed “war material from the United States and Colombia”, military helmets and communication equipment. In addition to the two Americans, eleven people were arrested on Monday in a second boat that was approaching a coastal area of ​​the central Aragua state, although Maduro warned that the persecution continues and there may be more arrests.

The army is the main support of the Venezuelan dictatorship, so each rumor of uprising or quartering triggers nervousness in the country.

Earlier on Monday, the Prosecutor’s Office accused Juan Guaidó of hiring “mercenaries” with Venezuelan funds blocked by Washington sanctions, in order to launch the “invasion” attempt.

The accusations have been firmly rejected by the president in charge.

Since Donald Trump’s arrival at the White House in January 2017, the bilateral relationship with Venezuela has been strained. The U.S. was the first country in the world to recognize opposition leader Juan Guaidó in January 2019 as Venezuela’s interim head of state and, since then, has led an international campaign to isolate Maduro through the imposition of sanctions.

Guaidó tried to overthrow Maduro in a military uprising on April 30 of last year that failed and that Washington was aware of, although he assures that he did not participate.

(With information from AFP and EFE)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here